Our area is rich in Texas history! Washington County is where the Texas Declaration of Independence was signed on March 2, 1836! Visit Toubin Park in Downtown Brenham and see the fully restored underground cistern from the 1800‘s, originally used to collect rainwater and battle fires. It is a State Antiquities Landmark!
The Brenham Heritage Museum is currently operating out of the Brenham Bus Depot while the museum’s main building is undergoing extensive renovations.
The Brenham Fire Museum – a.k.a. Brenham Fire Company # 1 Fire Museum, was designed to house Samanthe, the 1923 American LaFrance Type 38 that the Brenham Fire Department owns. Purchased April 2, 1923 from the manufacturer in Elmira, NY, Samanthe is one of only three left of its kind. Only 34 fire engines of this type were produced between early 1900 and 1930.
The museum is also home to a 1950 American LaFrance, the Invader, and houses fire artifacts from the department’s long history.
Tours of the Museum can be arranged by calling the Fire Department at 979-337-7300.
Bring your church group, school group or family to visit Texas’ oldest continuously serving Baptist church. The present church dates to 1872. The pulpit furniture dates to 1852. Sam Houston was baptized here and carved his and his wife’s initials in their family pew. Baylor University and the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor began here. This church has been called the mother church of Texas Baptists because of its significance to Texas Baptist history. The museum remains free, thanks to the generous support of Texas Baptists.
The Official Cotton Gin Museum of Texas keeps the legacy of cotton alive for all generations; open Tues-Sat, 10am-4pm. Home of the 1914 Burton Farmers Gin – the oldest operating cotton gin in America; tours daily at 10am and 2pm. *Leashed pets allowed
On the east side of FM 50 (next to the Antique Rose Emporium), interpretive signage and a reconstructed bell tower mark the archeological ruins of the Baylor campus for males. A well-marked walking and/or driving trail with 19 interpretive signs relates the history of the village of Independence. On the west side of FM 50, ruins mark the site of the original Baylor University and its female department, one of the best places in the state to enjoy springtime bluebonnets. Adjacent to the John P. Coles homes, this park features picnic tables and a playground area.
We have a walking and driving tour where you can see and learn much more about this historic community. See website for maps and details.
Fully restored, the carousel is one of eight that exist in Texas today and is the only example of a C.W. Parker carousel with Herschell-Spillman horses. Manufactured prior to 1910, it is housed in a unique 16-sided WPA building in the heart of Fireman’s Park. Open weekends March 1-October 31.
History lives, thanks to the Burton Heritage Society! Since 1973 devoted members have maintained and preserved the Burton Railroad Depot and Mt. Zion Cemetery. Both sites are vital to area history. The depot transports visitors to 1870 when Burton was a terminal on the Houston and Texas Central Railroad while the cemetery honors some of the earliest and more notable inhabitants. Open first Saturday of the month and by appointment.